Some of you have asked what I've been up to lately so I better update a bit. This morning Jeannie and I picked a couple pounds of blackberries until it started getting too warm.





The ripe ones are delicious, the red ones will make you pucker!

This is my grandson Steffen we spent 15 days putting in a new irrigation system on his 1.6 acres of land.



I took these two pictures to show him what it will look like eventually.

They are of my 1/2 acre yard that started out the same way 25 years ago.
 
On our way back to Portland, Jeannie and I stopped to visit Patience, her daughter Shannon, and father Ken.



She loves adventure, hope I'm around someday to at least take her on a little one!

Just a small part of Steffen's irrigation system.

We also took the time to learn how to patch drywall after he had a plumber re-pipe his house.

 

Having lived in and around as well as traveling through the Portland, OR area, I have never visited Sauvie Island.

I fixed that today.

The Columbia is a mighty river, and Sauvie Island is one of the largest river islands in America.

If you want to travel it, you need one of the largest touring motorcycles!      Just kidding. :)



There are a lot of these Bald Eagle nest scattered over the island.

The Columbia River

Lots of farms both Ag and Livestock. Your choice, sheep, chickens...................

Goats, or even beef.

The island appears to be very fertile.

Raising everything from flowers to corn and everything in-between.

Some nostalgic forms of advertising


Along with the conventional methods

Lots of little stores selling their fresh goods


I liked the John Deere display

I bought a 420 just like this one that was a basket case. Split in two and engine blown. Less than $1100 later, it was like brand new and I used it for 13 years. Loved that tractor, remote hydraulics, live PTO, three point hitch, and overspeed for highway travel!



This is the Multnomah channel. The boats are parked behind the houses.


One of the prettier fields.

Most of the farms offer both u-pick options as well as they will pick it for you.

Most of the boat owners were better at stowing their boats than this guy!

After my Grandfather passed away his children sold his place and they put up all of these low cost houses. I liked it better when it was my childhood playground.

Back then the road was dirt and rutted and I loved it.

Grandpa would give us his change and dad would take me and my three sister for a half mile walk to this little store. It really hasn't change much and still has the old soda fountain inside.

I'm always looking for something new to see in the areas that I ride to.

On the map I found Lucia Falls and this looks like it might be a shortcut.

The river looks to be a couple feet below it's max.

The falls were still nice in spite of the low water.

This wind throw found an unusual new perch

I decided if I was a salmon, I would use the farthest left fall.


They don't want you to disturb the salmon during the difficult portions of their runs. By the time they finally make it to their spawning grounds they have beat their bodies to a pulp and die shortly after having the best experience of their life! Some things are worth waiting for!

Just a little different viewpoint

I would need a jackhammer to chisel out a hole like this in solid rock, but the Rockchucks claws are so sharp they go through it like butter.

At the top of the falls is another fall and then a smooth pool above that.

Looking at the main falls from above.

The water looks very refreshing.

And very clean

Not sure where they actually spawn, but the river is pebble lined above the falls.

Those pesky Rockchucks have been very busy!

This part of Washington is inhabited by the very rare Beaver Moss!

One of my Uncles that recently passed away sold his little country property to a developer.

It is now covered in brand new homes. I guess time goes on and memories fade!

The bumper sticker on his truck reads..........

.......this is my work truck,

I have a Rolls Royce at home.

Lots of Christmas trees are grown in the Molalla, OR area.

Another place I've been past many times but never stopped is Silver Falls St. Park.

Ten waterfalls in the park, this one 177' tall.

If you're young and full of vim and vigor you can walk behind the falls. I'm not!

Lots of Douglass Fir and Cedar along the trails between the falls.

It's still hard to find the perfect viewing area.

At least they are excited about the hike back out from there......not!

Even though it was getting warm, there wasn't a lack of shade.

Big trees, wide trails.

I walked a mile and a half down this trail and met some guys that said it was another mile and a half to the next falls. I turned around.

I then drove to another parking area a few miles from the main one and a lady told me there was a nice fall only .4 miles up the trail. They build these little retaining walls on the trail to keep the many little springs from washing out the trail.

She gave me good advice

Pretty falls and several folks enjoying it

This little guy liked it too.

But, the walk in tuckered him out

One last look



.4 miles along this creek and my adventure for today ends.

Okay, one last, last look.

August 3rd and I rode down to Eugene to meet with a friend. I arrived a few minutes early so I was riding around the Valley River Center and took a picture of this black glass building. I noticed this good looking guy on an awesome bike riding around the same parking lot!  Oh wait..............!




The next day Jeannie and I rode to my Son's house on the coast.

He has built this awesome deer fence around his yard.

It (the fence) must have thought my motorcycle was a John Deere because it kept it out



My daughter in law collects Barbie Dolls so guest have to drink from Barbie Doll cups.

This is how my son and I deal with the girls shopping.

Just for my buddy Sherm





My son doesn't care for the yuppishness of the town of Manzanita. On the other hand he looks like he fits right in.

No shortage of eateries

or ethnicities 

or lilies

Nice job on this driftwood whale.

Good surf today but only 52 degree water.

I told this couple that real bikers ride through the soft sand too!

This little guy was trucking along pretty fast until

he hit the soft sand and then he came to an abrupt stop!

The shoppers and the package carrier.

If you see a tsunami headed your way be sure to take the time to find one of these to plan your escape route!   Yeah Right!!!

About 4 years ago a large F-0 tornado hit Manzanita and took off a few roofs as well as the shingles on the front of this house. The repair company said it would only take a couple weeks of the harse coastal weather for the shingles to blend with the ones that didn't blow off. Amazing, you can hardly notice the difference now that it's been four years.

Eldo and Kristi treated Jeannie and I to a great dinner at Roseanns Restaurant
 
Three Harleys parked out front. Two of them 750cc

And the big daddy Sportster.

Comments

  1. Don't know how I missed that too. Never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa Sherm, I never heard of it either but have ridden past it several times. I only found it this time because I have started studying the map for other details when I have a planned destination.

      Delete
  2. Yes, been then there when I WAS a little more full of vim. Not much more vigor. But it still looks the same after a lot of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time for pictures, and the witty comments. Always enjoyable reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog